The Grass Is Greener Where You Water It!
Warning: This one is a little straight in the face!
It’s New Year and we are all geared up with our new goals and new resolutions. Good. Great. Sticking to it is the hard part and, something, where most people drown, is playing the comparison game. Have we stopped comparing ourselves to others? or looking at someone else’s Instagram/ Facebook and say, ‘he has a better house, or oh she always dresses up well’ so on and so forth. Have we stopped judging other people for having or doing things? According to a recent survey, Instagram is the worst social media platform for mental health!
The old version goes, “The Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side” and that is true. You can just find faults in yourself while the next person looks perfect to you. Happens to everybody.
But The new and important mantra is The Grass Is Greener Where You Water It!
The previous statement is sort of passive, but the new statement gives the power back in our hands! It frees us from the comparison and complain game and initiates action!
I often get asked about how do I manage to do so much. How am I so efficient and achieve so many results because they see my status that says I am cooking in the morning, writing articles for my blog, doing office work, doing social media (being active on social media is a part of my job btw) attending blogging meets and so on. (Not blowing my own trumpet, just an example to explain)
One thing is I write down things. I had mentioned about making a planner. It is super helpful. Another thing is I am super indulged in my own thing. #HustleCode I am losing out on friends because I am hardly available for casual parties and outings. But, I am okay with that because my real friends understand and we catch up as we plan and make time. 🙂 Having followed a number of great people like Marie Forleo, Ramit Sethi and so on, one thing that resonates with each one of them is that they are super focused on their own work!
Do yourself a favour, Focus on your sh*t!
I DO THAT ALL THE TIME! If at all I get diverted sometimes, I take efforts to come back and focus on my work. I have a strict mother who does not give a damn about what I do professionally, all she cares about whether or not I am doing house-work. So yes, I have to manage both right. Now that I have accepted the fact, I have figured out a way. Focus on how you can get better with things and stick to your resolutions.
So, how do you water your grass? Or how do you focus on yourself and not let distractions take over?
- Invest in yourself. Be a constant learner keep upgrading your skillset. It not just enhances your resume but also helps you grow as a person.
- Broaden your horizon. Have perspective.
- Be aware of your language. Note how many times in a day you bad mouth or judge people. Now consciously bring that down.
- Take note of the envy. If envy arises in you by looking at other people’s things or achievements, just be aware that it’s happening. It is natural. Now come back and focus on your work and do it to the best of your abilities. I promise you won’t regret.
- Appreciate yourself. Genuinely do that because often we beat ourselves so much and forget that we need pampering too. I have nobody who pampers me, so I pamper myself. 😊 Nobody can love you the way you can!
- Also, Appreciate Others! If you recognize something great about someone else, let them know about it. Please do that folks, please. Don’t you love getting random messages from people saying you look good or you did that well? It’s the same with others. Everyone likes compliments.
It is true for all of us. Why do you think Instagram has gained so much popularity? Duh! This appreciation thing works best at all walks of life. You may or may not have heard it already, “WHAT YOU APPRECIATE, APPRECIATES!” that means it grows in a fulfilling manner. 😊
Only thing intelligent people know is not depend upon external motivation, appreciation as their driving force.
So, my dear, if you want your grass to be greener, might as well work for it, water it and, enjoy your own flowers! 😉
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts… Drop them in the comments below!
Connect with me for regular doses of inspiration, happiness, and chic lifestyle articles: 🙂
Ping and say Hi!
- write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe: Get onto the email list and avail access to a lot more interesting bunch of things & Free Give-Aways!